Family Matters - 1 John 5:6-21
1 John 5:6-21 6 This is he who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ; not by the water only but by the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. 7 For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree.
• Spirit, Cf. John 15:26; Acts 5:32
• Water [water baptism], Cf. Matthew 3:13-17; Mark 1:9-11; Luke 3:21-23; John 1:19-34
• Blood [cross of Christ], Cf. Leviticus 17:11; Matthew 26:26-28; Hebrews 9:11-14
9 If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater, for this is the testimony of God that he has borne concerning his Son. 10 Whoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself. Whoever does not believe God has made him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has borne concerning his Son.
• Testify, Testimony, Bear Witness [Greek, some form of martus] to give evidences that one has seen or heard or experienced something, or that he knows it because taught by divine revelation or inspiration.
• The Old and New Testament state what makes a testimony creditable. Cf. Deuteronomy 9:15; Numbers 35:30; Matthew 18:15-17; John 8:17; 2 Corinthians 13:1; 1 Timothy 5:19
11 And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. 14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him. • We are promised to spend eternity with Jesus and other believers.
John 10:28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.
Eternity [Greek, aiónios] which carries the idea that it won’t just be about the length of time, but also the quality of life too. Cf. 1 Corinthians 2:9; Revelation 21:1-5
2 Corinthians 5:1, 8, 10 1 For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 8 Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil. Cf. Romans 14:10-12
16 If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life—to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death.
• Three views of “sin that leads to death” 1. A specific, deadly sin. Cf. Acts 5:1-11; 1 Corinthians 5:5; 11:27-30 2. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Cf. Matthew 12:32; Mark 3:29 3. Total rejection of the gospel of Jesus. Cf. 1 John 2:19
• Revelation 20:11-15; 22:12
Matthew 7:20-23 20 Thus you will recognize them by their fruits. 21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
18 We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him. 19 We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one. 20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. 21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols.
Pray for those not in the family.
Testify how to get in the family.
Lean into you hope.